Bruxism is a stress symptom that can have a major impact on dental health.
Bruxism is a stress symptom that can have a major impact on dental health. Clenching or grinding of teeth are habits that can arise as life becomes overwhelming. These manifestations usually effect an individual while they sleep. Most people are unaware that they have enough stress in their life to cause this night time parafunctional habit.
Individuals that take Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors for
are shown to exhibit signs of teeth grinding.
What oral signs are present indicating that a person could be bruxing, clenching or
1) Wear to the biting surface of some or all teeth.
2) Sore jaw muscles.
3) Sore ear/s
4) Chipped teeth.
) Spouse complains of grinding noise while you sleep.
What measures can be taken to combat the these consequences of stress?
1) Purchase a dentist fabricated mouth guard to protect the teeth during sleep. If you cannot afford a professional guard, purchase an over the counter night guard.
2) Take oral sedatives prior to sleep to help induce relaxation.
3) Practice relaxtion excercises to help calm thoughts.
4) Place warm, moist compresses on sore muscles to help with relief. Also, takeanti-inflammatory medication (advil) to help alleviate soreness.
An extreme oral manifestation of stress is
.This can leave a person prone to jaw pain and/or popping, tooth wear and significant headaches.
Stress overload is a serious problem. It is becoming more and more prevalent in today's society. To learn more about teeth clenching please consult a dental professional.